Wisdom Tooth Extractions – Deerfield, IL
We Take Care of Wisdom Teeth Safely & Comfortably
Not everyone has wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, but those who do often get them removed. If your wisdom teeth pose a threat to your oral health by causing crowding, pain, or infection, our dental team can safely remove them for you. Keep reading to learn more about wisdom tooth extractions in Deerfield, IL.
Why Choose Mark W. Jacob, DDS, PC for Wisdom Tooth Extractions?
- Dentist with 30+ Years of Experience & Advanced Training
- Same-Day & After-Hours Emergency Appointments Available
- Dental Insurance Welcome & Financing Available
When is Wisdom Tooth Extraction Really Necessary?
Contrary to popular belief, wisdom teeth don’t ALWAYS have to be removed. If they’re healthy, they can be a long-term part of any smile! Unfortunately, this is not often the case. This specific set of teeth usually doesn’t have enough room to erupt properly, which can cause discomfort and threaten a patient’s oral health. They can potentially press on the nearby teeth or start to come in at an odd angle. Plus, they can create a flap in the gums that easily gathers food debris and bacteria, increasing the risk of cavities.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction Aftercare
Our patients can rest easy knowing that we prioritize their comfort throughout the extraction process. Once one or more wisdom teeth have been removed, some minor discomfort, swelling, and bleeding is expected. These symptoms should subside after a week or so – if they don’t, go ahead and contact us!
Here are some helpful tips for how to recover from the procedure smoothly at home:
- Avoid direct contact with the treatment site, and do not vigorously rinse your mouth for the first 24 hours.
- Apply a cold compress to the cheek outside of the surgery site to help reduce swelling.
- Stick to soft foods, drink plenty of liquids, and avoid using straws (the suction may accidentally dislodge blood clots).
- Take prescribed pain medications when you begin to feel discomfort.